CVRG is one of the pioneering research groups that conducted research and development in the field of Computer Vision in Malaysia. Initial research efforts were mainly in general algorithm and technique development. During the boom in semiconductor industry in Penang in the late 80's and through the 90's, considerable research effort in machine vision techniques were put in. Particularly, semiconductor wire bonding inspection, glove-mould inspection and post-mount die attach inspection systems were developed with collaboration from multi-national companies like Intel. Robotics and automation research with an emphasis in intelligent assembly systems was made a focus of research in the late 90's. Robotic vision systems, neural network and force-guided assembly were typical projects at that time. A renewed interest in medical image analysis and image semantics takes us where we are at present.
- Quantification and visualization of white matter lesions of the brain in a clinical trial of Vitamin E.
- Assessment of musculoskeletal tumour response to chemotherapy
- 3D visualization of musculoskeletal tumour and risk structures and surgical planning.
- Knowledge guided medical image segmentation
- Segmentation and visualization of blood vessels
- Image Segmentation
- Mapping Low-Level Image Features to High-level Semantic Concepts
- Spatial correlation of concepts
- Concept disambiguation
- Multimodal Meaning Normalization Through Ontologies
- Video annotation and retrieval using semantics
Current Research Projects
- 2007-2010 DVTRS - Delineation and 3D Visualization of Tumour and Risk Structures.
- 2007-2010 Multimodal Meaning Normalization Through Ontologies.
- 2006-2008 Web front-end to the Grid for Resource Sharing, Image analysis and Visualization.
- 2007-2010 Narrowing the Semantic Gap : Mapping image features to concepts using ontologies,
- 2006-2008 Segmentation and 3D Visualization of Tumor from 2D CT Datasets.
- 2005-2007 Hybrid Multi Scale Image Segmentation
Past Research Projects
- 2002 -2004 Wavelet-Nurbs Image Segmentation Fundamental Research Grant Scheme.
- 2004-2006 Ocular Fundus Image Segmentation for Early Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- 2002 -2005 Intelligent Vision Inspection System for Quality Control in Semiconductor Industry
- 2000-2002 Shape Similarity Measure Using Polynomial Curve Representation.
- 2000-2002 Neural-Fuzzy Force-controlled Robotic Assembly using Virtual prototyping Environment.